Monday, July 25, 2005

First Post

Well, the first fence post, that is. I'm fencing the yard. Using ready-made fencing sections that are 180 cm long fastened to fence posts that are 9.8 cm square, I'll need about 44 full sized sections of fence and at least five odd-length pieces. So, the circumference of the yard is about 83.5 meters. This is a pretty good sized yard. It's smaller than my mother's, though, I think. I actually got a bit of a pleasant surprise when I talked to my neighbors about the property lines. They are all willing to either help me pay for the fencing or, in the case of the guy next to me, give me an extra meter or two of property so that I can just follow the line of his garage. That last means that I don't have to buy fencing over the distance covered by his garage and I can just fasten to it. I've always thought that he was not too happy about me living here, but he seems pretty nice afterall. That may come from his use of my half of the driveway from time to time. Hey, neighbors are supposed to share, right?
So, anyway, I have the first post fastened and tomorrow I'm going to get to work on getting up the long side of the yard. Inga's already volunteered to stain the fence every summer and was saying today that she would like me to buy some stain the next time I go to the store so that while I'm putting up the fence she can take a break from the computer to come out and wave the brush at the fence. The weather has been fantastic here. It was a bit cold today, but only because of the wind. I took Guðjón fishing a couple of days ago and although we didn't catch any fish, we saw a couple of really beautiful collared doves (which are not on the list of Icelandic birds). Here's some info and pictures.

That's all for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home