Monday, August 22, 2005

As usual

Inga, þú þarft ekki að lesa þetta. Þú ert margoft búin að hlusta á mig kvarta yfir þessu.

Well, as usual, I fell victim to the disorganization of the University of Iceland. I checked last week when does the fall semester start? Well, according to the internet it starts today. According to the people in the school it starts next week. That explains why books for my classes have not been ordered yet. But it gives me time to get myself into an additional class considering that the biology classes I wanted were canceled due to lack of acceptible numbers of students. There is one ecology class that interests me, though so I'll take that or maybe the paleontology class that's being offered by the geology department. Anything but General Chemistry, Human Genetics, Cellular Biology II (which of course, is about human cells), or Methods in Molecular Biology. Silly me, I thought that being allowed to register for fisheries biology would afford me the opportunity to study aquatic life.

The basic problem here is that the majority of the money to be had in biological sciences lies solely in the microscope and chemistry lab. Therefore, anything else falls to the wayside. But what about in this country whose Ministry of Foreign Affairs publishes this on their web site:
"Fish and fish products constitute more than 70% of Iceland's exports of goods and are thus by far the most important industry." Does it not seem reasonable that learning about the ocean-or at least about fish-should be an option at any of the universities? I can go to the University in Akureyri to learn about aquaculture or the business aspect of the fishing industry. Or I can go to Holar to learn aquaculture to get a BS and then continue on in ichthyology, but only as a Masters program. Furthermore, this is one of the countries where whaling is still carried out and yet nowhere in this country is there a course offered at the univeristy level about the animals or about the industry and its effects. Considering that this is an issue of much heated debate, it only seems that such a course should be offered.

I'm a little annoyed right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home