Wednesday, September 28, 2005

In The News Today

This has been a very interesting day so far. On the way to school I listened to the BBC, as usual, and heard many eye-opening conversations and reports.

First, I heard about a man in Denmark who is fighting for the rights of handicapped people in his country. Normally, this is a cause that I would feel obligated to support and he'd get my full attention. I would think that it's really too bad that he's in the situation that he's in and I would want to help him out if I could. But today the cause he was referring to is something that I can in no way support. That is, he was (and is still) fighting the government to get tax money to pay the extra charge he gets when he has to have prostitutes come to his house instead of him going to them. When I heard him say that, I thought, "Are you on crack?!" Prostitution is illegal in Denmark. Yet, he says that sex is a basic human need and he can't get it satisfied unless he pays extra due to his handicap. I wonder if he feels that ugly people should be allowed to buy hokkers, too. He was at least trying, albeit in a blatently chauvinist way, to think of the prostitutes themseves in that he wa saying that they should be protected by laws and health insurance and all that. But still...what thinking human being is going to support this kind of thing?!

Second, I heard that a group of Japanese scientists have managed to capture 550 photographs of a giant squid in its natural environment. these are the first images of a living giant squid in its home environment. The photos were taken at a depth of about 900 meters!

Third, a treasure worth $10 billion is thought to have been found on Carusoe Island off the coast of Chile. The only thing I could think of when I heard this is, "what kind of feeling does one get upon such a find?" I think I would start screaming for joy and not stop until I passed out from lack of oxygen!

Fourth, I just read in the paper that some ants in the southern region of the Amazon Forest actually use the formic acid that most (if not all) ants produce as a defense mechanism to kill trees that are not beneficial to them so that their favorite trees will have a better chance of success! And some say that we are the only species that practices aggriculture. I'm sure that some of you can send me comments about other species that grow things for their own use, too. But this is a pretty dramatic example from the mind of an ant.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Þú ert uppfullur af fróðleik þykir mér. Hvað ertu annars að læra í skóla.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home