Saturday, November 05, 2005

Let's Focus on Me

Recently I've gotten a couple of questions just about me from readers who don't know me and have only stopped by my site because they had nothing better to do or whatever. I want to take this opportunity to introduce myself again for anyone who doesn't know me personally.

Hi, my name is Eric dos Santos. I'm a 33 year old American-born man whose father was born in Argentina and whose mother was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts. I lived in the U.S. until I was 27 and then moved to Iceland after coming here for two months to install two pipe organs built by the Noack Organ Company (for whom I had spent a year working). I love Iceland and will most likely die here. The language is extremely nonsensical (to me, though I know Icelanders will disagree) and difficult to get right, but I think it's fun trying and most everyone is very accepting of my imperfections in speaking it. The landscape is wonderfully open and clean and raw. It's interesting and awesome (both in the literal sense and in the slang sense of that word).

But the people here are the real reason I'm still here. My wife is Icelandic. She makes me as happy as I can be and we have two and a half kids (there's another one on the way). I'm studying biology with a concentration on marine biology and I hope to work in classification upon graduation in May. Then I will have a BA in speech communications from Bridgewater State College in Massachusetts and a BS in biology from the University of Iceland.

My interests are animals, music and movies. I like comedy as well, but as there are terribly few Icelandic comedians, I have somewhat lost touch with that aspect of entertainment. I'm generally more left wing than right wing politically.

I support women's rights but I don't think that homosexuals should be allowed to adopt children. Many of my opinions have to be kept locked away in my head so as not to offend or outrage people. I have a vast army of pet peeves lined up in my head and they're more often than not the cause for my annoyance.

Photography is something that I enjoy without complete understanding of how it works. As a result, my photos may be quite amateurish.

I'm willing to give anyone a chance to be a friend. But I am more likely to actively approach people who look like they are different from the norm of the society in which they live. Also, I am very harsh with people who prove to be dishonest. The most important thing I learned from my father is how painful dishonesty can be.

I believe that this world would be a better place if people were more connected-and I don't mean connection through computer screens and cell phones. I'm talking about good old fashioned dinner parties, picnics, and participation in activities of common interest. I think of everyone I see as a very long and interesting story waiting for me to read it.

Well, that's some of my story. I write this blog as something fun for me to do with my spare time. But the comments allow readers to send me messages or questions. Feel free to do so.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nú get ég kommentað :)

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said: Photography is something that I enjoy without complete understanding of how it works. As a result, my photos may be quite amateurish.

First of all, your photography is quite good. Secondly, there really isn’t anything that requires "understanding" in photography. You look at something and if it looks interesting you snap a picture. With time and practice you begin to learn which compositions work and which don't. You really seem to have a good sense of composition with your landscapes and still life shots.

3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home