Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Bad Mood---until the Rare Bird

You know, from time to time I’m in a bad mood.  Yes, I’m speaking seriously here.  I’ll wait for you to catch your breath after the shocked gasp you just suffered....
No, really, I’m not always the happy-go-lucky, bouncy bright and sunshiny, full of energy guy you have come to know.  No, I too suffer from mood changes and occasionally, I cannot control myself.  Sometimes I lash out at someone without good reason (though usually when I lash out at someone it’s for damn good reason!).  right now, I’m in that sort of mood.  I slept all of about 3.5 hours last night.  I have a lecture to give tomorrow and I’m at least one homework assignment behind in fisheries assessment-with no hope of being able to finish.  
Whoa, holy crap!!  I can’t believe it!!!  My eyes have blessed me again.  As I was sitting here typing in yet another wandering thought, I glanced up and saw a raven fly down into the tall grass outside.  I stopped typing to watch it.  They are my favorite birds.  Then I noticed that there was a white bird there, too.  I thought at first that it was a seagul, the most liekly explaination for such a large white bird in this country.  Eventually, there were eight ravens flying around dive-bombing the white bird.  I thought that maybe they were trying to kill a wounded gull or something.  So, I went to my friends and told them about the ravens “trying to kill a gull”, said I.  
Our Hero was wrong.  One of my friends knows a certain guy who’s quite a bird enthusiast (he’s studying to be an ornithologist).  He pulled out the telescope and focused.  Lo and behold, the white bird was, in fact, the white morph of a gyrfalcon!  This bird is very rare in these parts.  It doesn’t breed here.  So, this bird guy I know, Jan by name, told me that this is only the fourth one of these birds he’s seen in 10 years of birding.  
My eyes rewarded me and a bunch of other people the opportunity to see an extremely rare bird.  Go me!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was thrilling to get a glimpse at a bird that is so rare here:) What are the odds man? A gyrfalcon landing and showing his grandeur infront of the Biology department?

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home