Thursday, March 16, 2006

Help, we'll be all alone!

Here I sit in my safe little world. I feel well protected from the Axis of Evil and the Terrorsits whoe are out to get me and safe from Danish drawings. But all that is about to change. The US military is pulling out of Iceland! Oh, God, I pray that your utimate mercy will grant us the protection to survive the icy winds of time all alone out here in the middle of the North Atlantic. I pray that you will divert our enemies and keep their armadas off our shores.

-Okay, the sarcasm is getting a bit too thick. The navy is pulling out, so what?! Politicians here have been fighting tooth and nail to keep them here because of agreements signed back in the days when invading armies were organized and came in great numbers by ship and aircraft carrier. But there are two major problems with this idea at present.
1. There are no more invading armies anymore-except those of the US and her coalition
members
2. They only had four jets here to protect us

Yup, you read right, 4 jets. 1, 2, 3, 4. And they say that the finacial loss that will be incurred on a town that is trying to grow has nothing to do with the fight to keep the US here...Right now the whole US presence at the NATO base in KeflavĂ­k consists of ugly apartment buildings, 4 jets and 2 helicopters. Oh, I forgot, the helecopters are very important too, because they are used to rescue our fishermen when they end up in trouble.
Personally, I'm glad to see them go. Not because I have anything against service men/women but because this is Iceland and they are US military. I think the US military should be in the US unless they are actively fighting a war.

On other news, I bought my tickets to England. Our Hero is going to make the 3 hour flight over to the Old World for a symposium on deep-sea biology in Southampton. It's going to be a lot of fun.

My two crayfish are growing quickly.

My two kids are growing quickly as well. Sometime I'll post some more pictures. In fact, maybe tonight. You see I was supposed to send my grandmother some photographs of the fam after Christmas as a thank you card. But I'm just too selfish to write it down o nthe calendar and remember to do so. Okay, I promise myself and you, my faithful readers, to do it today.

I saw a great movie yesterday called "Rize". It's about a dance movement that started in the wake of the 1992 riots in CA. It's a portrayal of at least one positive trend in neighborhoods where there's not a lot to be positive about. I wish someone could find a solution for the problems of places like Watts. I wish I had some advice, but I'm not the person for that. I recognize that there is a problem there and that many of the people there are making it worse. But I think outside help is needed to help the good people who live there get what they need.

Not too much else to say right now...
I'm just going to school and reading journal articles and writing reports...

Have a little laugh on me (and the crazy Danes at Wulffmorgenthaller)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home