Tuesday, October 03, 2006

New Stuff


The photosite that I set up last week has really taken over almost all of my free time. I have also been reading a lot more. I finished The Last Precinct by Patricia Cornwell. She's my favorite murder mystery writer because she writes about a character named Kay Scarpetta who is chief medical examiner for the state of Virginia. The character is a very strong persona that has been well developed. The stories are a lot like the tv series CSI which I also find fascinating. This type of murder mystery happens, for the most part, after the fact. That is, the main characters are forensic scientists who try to deduce from scientific evidence left at the scene what was done, how it was done and who did it. This book kept me engaged until the end by not revealing too much while it allowed quite a bit of speculation as to who and why.
I've just started Clive barker's book Sacrament which is about a wildlife photographer who falls into a coma and is travelling through the landscape of his memories. I've only just begun the real meat of the book so I can't tell you too much about it at the moment. But it is well written and quite engaging-as I've found all of his stories to be.
I recently watched the movie "Everything Is Illuminated". It's fantastic. It's a vicisouly creative and innovative film about a young man searching for the story of his family. It's narrated by a man who speaks English with some hilarious misusage misunderstanding of words. My mother was telling me recently that I should read the book or listen to the book on tape and if someone wants to give it to me for Christmas, I will.
The most important thing right now, though is the explosion of photographic expression that's blossomed in me. I've found that it's wonderfully gratifying to go out with the camera and walk around for hours on end. Of course, this means a certain decrease in the amount of good meals my family will eat, as I am the one who cooks most-according to the agreement I reached with the Dear Wife.
Marine ecology is going well. I've decided on a project for the class. I'm going to study the changes in density and size distribution of brown shrimp (Crangon crangon) on the mud flats in Mossfellsbær and see if those patterns are also observed in Vogar. It should be interesting.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m currently reading the Known Space Series by Larry Niven. In case you’re not familiar with the series, it’s a group of books and short stories written by Larry that take place in the same universe. While I’m enjoying it very much the one problem is trying to read the series in chronological order. I find myself bouncing back and fourth between different collections of short stories.

Three Books of Known Space (this is actually one large book containing three previously published books)
1. World of Ptavvs (novel)
2. A Gift From Earth (novel)
3. Tales of Known Space (short stories)
Flatlander (short stories)
Protector (novel)
Neutron Star (short stories)
Crashlander (short stories)
Ringworld (novel)
The Ringworld Engineers (novel)
The Ringworld Throne (novel)
Ringworld's Children (novel)

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home