Thursday, August 25, 2005

The Snail on My Back

I've heard people refer to a drug as a monkey on their back. This is an interesting image, but it doesn't make too much sense to me. I think that in the case of a drug which is killing you and taking all of your time, energy and life something like a 6 foot long mosquito would be more appropriate. I mean, a monkey on one's back would atleast be curious about the world around it. Also, it would constantly be grooming it's bearer and pulling bugs out of his hair. But drugs do nothing of any real benefit for you (unless you want to argue about the impetus for Jimmy Hendrix, the Beatles, orjust about any othe great musician or artist).
In my case, the animal on my back is a snail. That is,it's The Snail of Laziness. For years, I have been trying to get rid of this damned slimy passenger who repeatedly finds ways to slow my production to a crawl. Of course, I sit here like a bump of useless crap on a log and type it into my computer to add to the ever-growing list of useless posts on this pointless web site. But Seriously, though I feel the need to maintain this site and publish my thoughts from time to time, I wonder why I don't have ambition. I could be a much better student if not for the Snail pullng my attention out of the books.
I am pretty satisfied with the way I am, but this Snail is the one thing I have to kick. This summer I did accomplish quite a bit more than I have in previous summers. That gives me hope. Maybe I'm winning the battle.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh. It all makes sense now. I finally understand your fascination with sloths. Sloths are, after all, little more that large hairy tree snails. Funny how you can learn something new about a person you have known for years.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Our Hero, said...

Hmm, the sloth. The word sloth means: Aversion to work or exertion; laziness; indolence. The animal is not just called a sloth in English. In Spanish it's known as perezoso: the lazy one. In Icelandic it's called letidýr: lazyanimal. The truth is that it's not lazy, just slow. That's one of the differences between my brother and me. He's just slow. I'm lazy. But, Paul, once again, you can kiss my tuckus!

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always thought of you as hard working. But then again, I was so lazy as a kid that you had to get two snacks everytime you went to the kitchen so that I wouldn't eat yours. Seriously though, lazy people just watch tv. That really is all they do. If the remote is broken, they watch whatever tepid programming happens to slap em in the face. Lazy people have stains on the chest of all their shirts because they eat lying down all the time. They have crumbs on their dirty sheets. Lazy people are not bean pole college students with two kids who move internationally, learn weird languages and still find time to care for weird fish.

Oh and sloths have about as much total muscle mass as your baby toe. They are just so weak. But they sure like to hug!


melody

1:39 AM  
Blogger Our Hero, said...

Thanks, Mel. I can always count on you.

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home