Thursday, November 10, 2005

Last Post

Boy that last post got some good responses. Now that I've read them, I've realized that I've been using Hindi words all my life without really thinking about it. Language is fascinating. It illustrates so well how we are all connected through our history despite the differences between individuals or cultures. It really does seem to be true that we all started in the same general area and spread out from there.
So if this is true, why can't we live together? I've just been listening to breaking news about the suicide bombing in Iraq and the bombings last night in Aman. What are those people thinking? I cannot believe that any god would condone such actions. Then there is the issue of the riots in France. There again, many of the rioters are from northern African countries or the Middle East. I know that their cultures are different from those in the West, but why does violence so often start? Never having been to France I cannot say that I've seen the conditions in which these people live. But when I imagine what it would take for me to get angry enough to join a riot against police with water cannons and tear gas (and some cases, apparently, live ammunition) I can only see appalling living conditions and a completely apathetic government. Prejudice is a scary thing.
So, over to Israel. I've never been there either. That's another tangled mess whose cause I cannot understand. As far as understand it, Israel was created to give Jews a place to call home after thousands of years of persecution. Then, sometime after the country was created, some of them decided to take over neighboring strips of land where there were already other people (namely Palestinians). The Jews put up big fences and controlled movement and water flow between Israel-a fairly wealthy country-and Palestine-a fairly poor country (though one not officially recognized world wide). After anger and bickering, bombings started. I don't know if the first bomb was an Israeli bomb or a Palestinian bomb. But someone killed someone else. Now, decades later, at least one person is killed by someone they don't know (by bullet, rocket or bomb) everyday on one side of he border or the other. I wish that someone could make me understand why this is going on and I really wish I had a suggestion to stop it so that neither side loses. But one thing I'm sure of is that neither side should have the full support of any other nation. They are both committing crimes from my point of view. (of course, Bush cannot argue with Israel because he's committing simliar crimes in the Middle East).
There seems, however, to be a rising feeling of willingness to work together among civilians of both nations. There is a movement in the Israeli army of soldiers (they're required to serve at a certain age) refusing to stand post at border crossings. They are thrown in jail for their conscience. Also, I heard about a Palestinian man who's 12 year old son was shot by Israeli "security forces" and upon hearing that his son would die he asked if there was anyone waiting for organs. He was told that three Israeli children were on a waiting list for various spare parts and he gladly donated parts of his own son to give those other children a chance to live. Shortly thereafter, an Israeli man who had lost a 19 year old son of his own went to visit this generous open-minded Palestinian and thank him and show support of such a display of goodwill.

I lead a fairly simple life. I've never even heard a gun shot that was intended to kill a person. So I cannot claim to understand what people are thinking in these situations. But I'm willing to listen. I want to understand because I know that my vote may be able to make a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home