Monday, December 19, 2005

Finally on Vacation

     Here I am, done with my exams.  Another semester of my second bachelor’s degree is finished.  It feels good.  Yesterday (the first day after my last exam) I lay in bed until noon!  That was the first time I’ve done that since...well I don’t know when.  It was great.  I really like school.  I like what I’m learning and the exams that I just worked through show me that I have learned a lot in the last two and a half years.  Some days I felt like I had put a few more wrinkles in my brain.  
     Now Christmas is just 5 days away.  That’s because in the old days in Iceland the new day was said to begin at 18:00 (6:00 PM).  I don’t know why, it just was that way.  So, Christmas is celebrated on December 24th instead of on Christmas day.  Interesting.  It actually is kind of fun.  We get up rather early and finish cleaning the house if there’s anything left to do.  Then I dive into the kitchen where I’m up to my elbows in cooking for the feast.  Inga likes to have turkey with everything with it.  We’re going to have that again this year.  I like the tortiére stuffing recipe that my grandmother passed along in the family from Quebec.  But Inga likes the bread stuffing recipe that’s on the back of the Bell’s Seasonings box.  So, we usually have both.  I cook the meat stuffing in a frying pan and we have the bread in the bird.  Mmmm mmmm!  I need to find someone who will help me eat the cranberry sauce, though.  Nobody in my family likes it.  We always end up throwing away a whole bunch of wonderful cranberry sauce. I guess I should just make less of it, but I’m a glutton when I’m cooking.  When I was a kid and putting food on my plate, my mother used to say that I had eyes bigger than my stomach.  The same holds true when I’m cooking.  I always make waaaaay too much food compared to the number of people that will be eating it.  I’ve noticed certain trends, however.  For instance, the mashed potatoes I make are one of the few things that I always get right.  They are the best mashed potatoes in the world.  They always manage to disappear before everything else.  See, when I cook all this stuff for a family of four we have leftovers in the `fridge for a dog’s age.  But somehow, the potatoes are on the endangered species list after two days and definitely extinct before the end of the third day.  
     Today I’m going to go try to find a suitable gift for the little lady (as people used to call their wives in the old days).  I know what I want, but I suspect I’ll have to go to several stores to find exactly what I want.  Heh heh, she’s not expecting this present!  Ha ha, Inga, þú veist ekki hvað ég ætla að gefa þér!  
     Well, I’m off to clean a little bit around here before I go to the store.  I’m going to try to post something every day until Christmas, so stay tuned.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing your exams. I hope you did well.

By the way all that talk about Christmas feasts is making my mouth water. Turkey is usually difficult to come by over here and because of the bird flu scare it is impossible this year. Although I have never had tortiére stuffing I’m going to have to agree with Inga. I just love a nice traditional bread stuffing in my turkey. Besides, when I was a kid my dad used to experiment with different types of stuffing in our holiday birds and I hated them all. As for the cranberry sauce I would be glad to help you out. If you can overnight express it to me I guarantee that it will not go to waste.

As for my “little lady” (being short she would hate being called that) I decided to get her an electric juicer/extractor. She has been saying she wants one for the past year or so.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You threw away cranberry sauce? Say it ain't so. You should of called - I would of taken it off your hands!

Did you find Inga "the" present??!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Our Hero, said...

Oh yes, I did find the gift for the wife. She loves it, too. It's a beautiful soft wool overcoat. I had told her that I didn't dare to pick out clothes for her so it came as a bit of a surprise, too. I know this is a subject for an entire blog entry, but why do women's sizes have to be so complicated and difficult?! I go to one store and find a coat that is a size large that looks like it would fit her. Then another store calls it a 14 another calls it a 12, and still another calls it a medium!

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home