Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A Day I Never Thought I'd Experience

Today I went with the dear wife to the health center to...well, you know what we went to do.  It was a sad day for me in a way, but I must say that I feel closer to my wife now than I did before.  She's so strong.  I remember feeling this way after watching her go through labor.  I understand that as far as difficult labors go, hers was pretty average.  But it's still amazing to me!  I don't think I could do it.  Today when we came home, I helped her settle down on the couch to watch "So I Married an Axe Murderer" so we could lighten the mood a bit.  Then I cooked some garlic-rich gulash (or however you spell that word).  We ate and now we have about 25 candles burning in the dark house.  It's all very Christmasy.  There is a windy rain storm raging outside right now.  It sounds like tiny marbles are being flung at my window while the wind is trying its best to rip the sheet metal off the roof.  Whenever it's cloudy at this time of year the darkness is complete.  The meager illumination from the streetlights seems to be sucked out of the air before it gets to the ground.  But inside our little house we are cozy and happy.  Our candles fill the air in here with a comforting waxy fragrance and we think of how lucky we are, dispite the recent turn of events.  We are all healthy.  We all have enough to eat and warm clothes.  We all have each other.  It turns out that a fetus never developed and that only the amnionic sac and the beginnings of a placenta were in there.  So the life that I had thought ended had never actually started in the first place.  That's strangely comforting. 
This whole experience gave us yet another chance to support one another and demonstrate our solidarity.  At times like this I wonder how chauvinists can enjoy life.  I feel that my life is so rich and that it would be pretty empty if not for my family.  So, how can it be that there are people out there who do not see the importance and power of a loving family that is run on a sense of equality?  I just don't get it. 
I just wanted to write in with a few thoughts on this day that I thought I'd never experience.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You´ll be in my prayers !

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Þetta var fallega skrifað, ég táraðist!

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home