Monday, November 14, 2005

Airfare and Homework

Yesterday I saw an ad from Icelandair offering cheap airfare to "all destinations in the States except Orlando". Naturally, my first thought was a song, "California, here I come, right back where I..." But Icelandair's idea of a great deal is similar to China's idea of human rights: there's always a catch. As far as I can tell, they don't fly to San Francisco in the "winter" (in Iceland that means from October through mid-May). I wish that some other airline would start offering flights from Iceland to my home country. Right now the only other choice we have is a flight that's at least twice as long through London and then on to the States. That is often cheaper than a direct 5 hour flight on Icelandair. How can that be?! I'll tell you how that can be. Icelandair has a monopoly on the market here and they can do anything they damn well please. They are an unscrupulous company that rapes the Icelandic people while entising foreigners with incredibly low airfare (though admittedly, those deals are only when they are flying through to Europe or coming during the winter-not including holidays like Christmas and New Years-when nobody wants to come here because they think the weather is different in the winter than in the summer). As soon as there is another option I will stop flying Icelandair completely.

Is Our Hero finished writing the two papers he has to turn in this month? Oh, no! He's been reading article after article to try to solidify his ideas into a coherent flow. As one can see by reading certain entries on this site, Our Hero has trouble at times keeping his mind focused on one idea. Often the idea he starts out with mutates into an entirely different animal by the end. He has, in fact, started the papers at least twice and then had to go back and erase everything when he figured out that he was going in the wrong direction. But I think the ecology of mammals paper is reading for the press. it's pretty organized and will be a great paper once it's written if the shear number of citations has anything to say about it.

So, with finals approaching and two papers to write the blog may suffer a gaunt phase. I'll be back en force later in the year.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? I can't believe that your wife is having a baby only a few short months away - and you did not contact the solitary knitter you know.

This is what I dream of - a baby to knit for! Email me - must chat! Must make something for the new family member. *beedergirl*at*yahoo*dot*com*

Hurry!

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home