Wednesday, May 02, 2007

A lot of a little

In case anyone still looks at this blog after such a long pause in published articles...

Markús Ingi Ericsson, the new baby, and the rest of the family are all doing well. I've been studying for the exam I have to take on the 7th of May. We got a passport for markús today. I'll have to try to take a photo of the picture of him that the customs people will see until 2012 when we renew it. The expression on his face is fantastic! Anyway, nothing else much is going on here in Vogar, the most beautiful town in Iceland - far more beautiful than Hafnarfjörður. Dagbjört and Inga are well on their way to planning the big Confirmation party. For anyone who isn't Icelandic, the Confirmation sacrament is extremely important to Icelandic culture. In fact, it's so important that kids undergo the ceremony (and the required party featuring overly extravagant gifts and too much food) that even people who don't believe in God themselves hold a non-religious confirmation ceremony hosted by the town they live in! I'm not joking - people really ARE that gift crazy. It's bad enough that Godless children lie in front of the altar swearing to worship Jesus Christ and do their best to follow his teachings for the sole purpose of getting a new tv, computer, and hundreds of thousands of krónur (that's lots of money, to all you Gringos). Now the parents who are willing to admit to the world that they don't believe in God and that their 13-14 year old children are too immature to have formed a true idea of religious faith have created a faithless ceremony in order that their greedy little stinkers don't feel left out simply because the true ceremony doesn't fit in their belief system (or lack thereof)! The whole thing makes me sick. It's worse than the shambles that Christmas has become. Jim Carey's Mr. Grinch points out the materialism and greed that consume western culture in November and December, and if he could see what is going on here in the Spring, he'd have an even worse taste in his mouth. Easter is another day that has completely lot its meaning. My kids got so much candy this year that they voluntarily gave much of it away. I got too much, myself and have decided to forego the large chocolate Easter egg next year. I know I'll be the only one in the family that does so, though.

I agree with my wife that the sacrament of Confirmation is a beautiful thing in and of itself. I also think that kids should be made to think about their faith. But like the rest of Christianity, it quickly loses its beauty when the meaning behind it is not taken to heart. I really don't like the idea of blowing so much money, time and effort celebrating a false idea. However, I am not going to raise a fuss about this. I know that there is nothing I can do about this. It's just another in the long list of things that make me feel ashamed of the world I inhabit. We spend way too much time thinking about stuff and money and not enough time thinking about bettering the quality of our lives.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nei nei nei Hafnarfjörður er miklu fallegri bær, þið eigið eftir að átta ykkur á því og flytja í Hafnarfjörðinn!

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sammála síðasta ræðumanni, þetta með Voganna Eric... ætlaru aldrei að átta þig á þessu... The 220 is the best.
Til hamingju með Markús...

8:58 PM  
Blogger Our Hero, said...

Hvaða hvaða...Þið kunnið ekki að meta fegurð!

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Eric....this is Claudette, your mom's first cousin, daughter of your great uncle Roger....My brother, Mike, sent me a group email on some funny story or other and I started thinking of relatives and decided to google any recent pictures of your mom's art.....somehow or other I got onto your flicker page's photos of Melody's beautiful wedding and ended up going through all of your photographs and exjoying your sub-titles.....I love your photography and sense of humor....one of my favorite times in life is when my adopted son Matthew and I brought my new son, Colin up to see "the relatives in New England" when Colin was a newborn many years ago....you, carl and melody spent time together with Matthew, who was your age...and I have the best memories from your times spent together.....watching the four of you was like watching old souls meet again after being apart for centuries....Matthew is now living in England doing his phd on a minster there and Colin has just returned from living in Prague.....Claudette

8:00 PM  
Blogger Our Hero, said...

Thanks Claudette. It's always good to know that people out there are poking around in my stuff and appreciating some of it. If you want to get in touch more directly you can e-mail me or contact me by my name on Facebook. I don't update this blog often and rarely check it. I only know you posted a comment because I got an e-mail notification on an old e-mail account.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home