Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Predators

Is it wrong of me to enjoy supplying my predatory fish with cute neon tetras as food? I really like the tetras, but I really like the bichir, too. She hasn't been herself since she came home from her vacation at Hlynur's house and I wanted to try to make her happy again. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's Hlynur's fault. I'm sure that he was very nice to Boberta. But she hasn't been her usual swim-around-the-tank self and she hasn't been eating lately, either. I think predators are just as beautiful as their prey.
Does this conflict with my moral beliefs or my love of life and living things? I say no, it does not. What is happening in my fish tank is a little closer to the way things play out in nature when the predator is stalking and eating the prey. I know that neon tetras and bichirs do not inhabit the same waters and that animals do not act the same way in a small cage as they do in nature. But that really is the way I see it.
I love my fishy and think that she should be able to hunt from time to time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you really need is a nice kitty cat.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Our Hero, said...

We have a kitty cat. I'm not too thrilled about it, but it's really Dagbjört's cat and everyone else in the family is really atached to him. Inga made the mistake of telling Guðjón that he can have a rabbit when Mjási dies thinking that he would forget. But he still says he wants a rabbit. It's better than a cat, anyway!

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guy! I saw this site... and thought of you. Have no idea about language - but with those pictures... it didnt really matter.

http://forum.openwater.ru/index.php?showtopic=611

Blech!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Our Hero, said...

Actually I've seen those photos before, but thanks. Here's a link to a site in English that features many of the same critters but has better photos-some of them quite beautiful:
http://www.mar-eco.no/

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home