Saturday, August 13, 2005

Touch

Okay, here's the deal, I haven't been able to post anything for two days. I don't know why, but that's the naked truth. This post is what I was trying to post a couple of days ago. I'm trying again just out of blind faith that whatever the problem is, it will be fixed today. Enjoy:


Today has been a good day. I got a lot done but also managed some time to play with Guðjón and drink some great coffe at Siggukaffi. But I'm a bit sleepy. Last night I fell asleep a bit earlier than I have been doing lately. But then I suddenly woke up for no apparent reason at around 11. I lay there trying to get myself to ease back into Dreamworld when I began thinking obsessively about the landscaping projects ahead of me after the fence. I really enjoy this type of work. I'm not trained for it or anything but I feel like things work out pretty well for me when I try. Anyway, after a while of doing my best not to move around too much and keep Inga awake I got up and went to see what I could find to distract myself on the internet. As it turns out, I had an e-mail from a high school friend that I haven't seen or heard from (or about) in 15 years. Yes, I graduated from high school in 1990. In the States, people graduate at 18 years of age, not 20 the way it happens here in the icy north. Anyway, getting that messgae made me start thinking of other people who have been absent from my life for some time. So I went onto classmates.com and started looking for contact info for all the kids in my class. It was a real trip down memory lane to read all those names again, even if most of them don't post pictures and I have no idea what they look like now or what they are doing. After looking at Pentucket Regional High School, I checked the class of 1995 at Bridgewater State College. There were a lot of names that I recognized. Some of them, like Bob Larkin, are people who I remember and hung out with a few times but never really got to know. But I found the names of a few people who were really close friends for a semester or more and then completely disappeared from my life, like Lisa Gustin. I think about this process sometimes. This losing touch. It happens to me a lot. I know it happens to everyone, but it still seems strange to me. I mean, you find people and sometimes you connect and sometimes you don't. But there are people who come in at the right moment and you click together like cogs on a pair of gears. Then, life keeps revolving and one of you or both of you change and you don't mesh together all of a sudden and the friendship disappears without so much as an adieu. I've always been fairly free about speaking with people about things that I probably should have kept secret. I'll tell you, after losing touch with so many people I shudder to think where my secrets have gone! I should never run for office. (of course, I would make a terrible politician for many reasons and that is more a reason not to run for office!) Anyway, it's strange that this all came to mind last night and then the very next day, a dude named Bjarni that I worked with a few years ago in a cabinet shop in Garðabær chimed in with a little comment on this very sight. He's a good example of someone with whom I should have worked harder to kindle a friendship with but for some reason, unbeknownst to me, I did not. He's a good guy with a great sense of humor and I bet we could have become close friends. I can tell that my friend Allan is probably going to be one of these people. He came along at a time when I desperately needed someone to speak English with. I ended up talking his ear off and complaining too much and he is already fading out of my life. I guess that we're not all made to be friends. Part of my life experience deals with paying attention to relationships I have with people and trying to understand them. This of course, can lead to overanalyzation and that has put stress on more than one friendship. But that's one of the fun things about having friends. You can sit down and try to figure out why they are special among all the acquaintences you make as you bumble along toward death. Eh, maybe I'm just being a sentimental girlyman. But I'm allowed to dwell in a fantasy land on the pages of this web site!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home