Thursday, December 29, 2005

Resolve

Two more packages came from the States today bearing Christmas presents to us.  I really appreciate all the gifts that generous people from two continents have sent.  I wish I could give more than I do.  I also wish that I could have the forethought and ambition to send out Christmas cards...but I am the way I am.  One of my New Year’s Resolutions is to send Christmas cards next year and forever more.  We’ll see if that works.
Normally, I don’t make resolutions.  They don’t get followed because, well, because I’m a lazy bum who’s happy the way he is!  But this year, one of the resolutions is to stop being such a lazy bum.  I want my agility and limberness (is that a word?) back.  I want to be able to stretch down and touch my toes again.  I want to be able to wrestle with my ever-growing son without having to worry about my back.  I also want to be able to feel better about the things I do in a day.  So, I hereby state, in front of the entire world (or at least my humble readership) that I, Eric Rubén dos Santos shall get into better shape over the year 2006 and stay in better shape for the rest of my life.  
Now, how do I plan to do this?  I have such deep-seated issues with communal locker rooms that swimming regularly is virtually out of the question.  I only run when chased (again I’m reminded of Emo Philips, “I ran three miles the other day.  Finally, I said, ‘Lady, take your purse.’”). But I love to walk and that’ll be a good beginning at getting back some of the endurance and strength I had when I was in my prime.  I am also going to shell out money to join a yoga class.  You see, my masochistically generous grandmother Marie decided to give me a large sum of money (from what income I have no idea) and I have decided to use it to buy me health in the form of yoga.  I figure that because yoga lessons are so expensive up here it’ll be a real inspiration for me to go regularly if I’ve paid an arm and a leg.  
So, that’s my plan.  First, I’m going to finish out my Christmas vacation of laziness.  I, myself, am utterly shocked at the level of laziness I have achieved on this vacation so far.  I’m also amazed that not only has my dear wife allowed me the opportunity to attain a new world record for laziness, she has joined me for hours at a time of nothing-doing!  I knew she was the right woman for me.  But as soon as this vacation is over, I’m going to hit the books running.  I’m going to walk into that yoga class with determination in my eyes.  I’m going to walk for at least an hour on days when I don’t go to yoga.  I’m determined to return my body to an acceptable state.

5 Comments:

Blogger Artful Badger said...

hmm...
this is slightly off topic but i was having this discussion with someone..we were speaking about music..and i told him that a lot of people listen to music today because so it's so easily available..
he said no..not many actually listen to music..
you don't have any value towards something unless you pay for it...
if someone told you that you had to pay 1000$ for every extra kilo..everyone would be fit!!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You'll never make it."
-Glum The Advetures of Gulliver

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a climbing gym in your area? If so, you should try it! You have the perfect body for rock climbing. It's a great workout, very fun and challenges each individual differently. I'm short and, em, plump. So I can't just reach up to the next hold the same way as Sati. But we both get up there somehow. You can boulder (climb without ropes) by yourself or you can find a partner and top rope. It's great for flexibility, strength, balance and confidence. Some days, it's frustrating, but other days, I just can't believe what I can climb! Climbers are generally positive people and at my climbing gym, people are always happy to give ideas about ways to get up those routes. Anyway, check it out if there is a gym. It's addictive. I really look forward to climbing, unlike going to any other gym.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I just found it...
http://www.klifurhusid.is/

6:52 PM  
Blogger Our Hero, said...

Thanks Mel, I'm going to check it out sometime. I think I'll start after school in May, though. But you never know what kind of money I can scrounge up here and there.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home