Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Funny and the New Blog

          Okay, so today two extremely funny things have happened.  First, in my ornithology (the study of birds) a new student joined the class.  He is the creepiest person I have met in quite some time.  Coincidentally, he's French.  Well, my professor for this particular class remembers when paper was invented because he was 34 years old at the time.  Okay, well, maybe that's a SMALL exaggeration, but he really is old.  He also suffers from selective deafness.  That means he can only hear certain people.  I am among those whose voice cannot get through the veil of his deafness and I have to repeat myself at least 4 times before he gives me a condecending answer.  Anyway, the French guy walked into class and the professor recognized him immediately as a new student and asked him for his name and where he was from.  This is where the funny thing happened.  The French guy responded in unbelievably broken and incorrect English and the expression and reaction of the professor were so precious I nearly died laughing. 

          The second terribly funny thing that happened today has just ended.  A neighbor of mine came to my door to ask for a couple of buckets of cold water.  This is an extremely unusual request, but being a good neighbor means that one has to help when needs be.  I went and got a bucket of water for her and then she told me what it was for.  Before I say what the problem was, I have to admit that even though I am studying to be a biologist and consider myself to be a rather knowledgeable man when it comes to the Animal Kingdom, I had no idea that what was causing her to seek water actually happens in the real world.  I mean, I'd heard stories about it, but always in jest and, well...She needed the water because her dogs were doing IT and they got stuck together!  Now you know why I was so stunned I couldn't even laugh right away.  Not having ever bred dogs and not having paid much attention when dogs I knew were, well, doing it, I had no idea that this actually happens.  So, the upshot is that this goes into my book of interesting anecdotes from my experience.

          Now, let’s get down to the business of tooting my own horn.  I decided to start a new blog.  This comes from the fact that I love to take pictures when I travel and yet, I don't often get the chance to hold a massive slide show so most of my photographs end up either appearing here in extremely small doses or they are sent individually by e-mail.  Then people get left out and wonder why they never saw them and all that.  Anyway, here is new blog.  It's going to be just for when I travel somewhere.  Family pictures and other fotós will still be placed here.  One of the reasons for doing this is that starting in May I'm starting a M.Sc. program that will involve a good amount of traveling and I figured I could then put photographs for that all in one place.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In your post you mentioned that “The French guy responded in unbelievably broken and incorrect English,” which left me wondering, are you classes conducted in English or Icelandic? You also mentioned that “the expression and reaction of the professor were so precious I nearly died laughing,” which left me wondering, (I wonder a lot sometimes) what was his expression and reaction?

As to the dogs, yes it happens quite often (I used to have a Dalmatian and got paid to breed him). Without going into graphic details, the male enlarges after they begin and they can not be separated until he (how shall we say) relaxes. You should never try to force them apart. Both animals can get injured. Personally, I think you should get a bucket of cold water, sneak into your neighbor’s house late some night and separate her and her husband. Of course you then have to run like the wind or your might get injured.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Our Hero, said...

The professor's reaction was purely visual. It was the screwed expression on his wrinkly face and the way he did a real double take. It reminded me a little bit of the reaction the French soldier that John Cleese portrays in the "Holy Grail" movie when the wooden rabbit is wheeled out of the woods by Arthur and his men.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home