Sunday, May 28, 2006

No Thought

Three strong women sit in my living room.  One is my wife and the other two are her friends.  The three of them ran for seats on he Board of Selectmen.  Elections for these positions were held in all counties in Iceland yesterday.  The result here was that the other party achieved its goal.  That goal, of course, being that their smear campaign against two people in our party caused many people to vote against the party to which we (my wife and I) belong.  We had a lot more supporters than the vote showed.  I don’t mean that there was cheating going on or anything.  But the truth is (or at least seems to me) that most people who voted for the other party (E-List) did so out of a personal dislike of the current chairman of the Board of Selectmen or the current mayor.  The mayor had announced long before the election that she’d be quitting after the election.  The other target for the mud-slinging of the other side was dropped from 1st to 4th seat on the board.  
Now that you know a little bit about what happened can you help me understand how it happened?  I know for a fact that our town has been one of the fastest growing towns in the country for at least 5 years.  I know that not only have thousands of square meters of town space recently been zoned for an expansion of the industrial area of town but plans are underway for the addition of the third new neighborhood to go up since I moved here three and a half years ago.  Included in that neighborhood will be a second school and playschool.  Since we moved here the school has been doubled in size.  Just before we came the playschool was doubled in size.  There are now three brand new apartment buildings and two motels in own.  The gym and swimming pool are among the best in the area and last year a new addition was put on as a social center for kids where dances and such are held.  So, what I cannot understand is why so many people saw fit to vote against two people who’s time in control of the town was ending and thereby toss out, also all the people who worked with them and had some experience and understanding.  This election was steered by personal grudges and not by sound politician decisions.  I cannot understand that kind of thinking.
I never had any dealings with the town government and therefore had no grudge. I made up my mind about the party by getting to know what they had done and what they were planning.  That, to me, is the way one should decided who should be running the show in the town where one lives.  Choosing simply based upon a personality clash is just childish and I think the majority who voted against my party should be ashamed of themselves for not thinking at all about the future of our town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home