Friday, May 06, 2005

Okay, I'm sorry for the game

That was not a fair contest for the points, I admit it. The changes were so small and picky that you would have to have been searching the page completely for the last few days to notice. I changed the order of a couple of things in the side bar, namely the last two sections. When I did that the first time, there was not line in between them. I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to get he line to appear and for about 12 hours there were two lines below the last section and no line between the last two sections. So, I admit that there was no way that anyone would notice.

I'll offer a new chance for 10 points. But, unfortunately for many of you, it's going to be a biology question.

What's the world's longest organism that is not made up of a colony of individuals?
Hint: It's not a blue whale.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lion's mane jellyfish

I want my ten points!!!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Our Hero, said...

Sorry Paul, that's not the answer according to one of my very correct text books. At 127 feet, it's not too far off, though.
I just realized that such a contest is much easier now that there is an internet to do a quick search on. But there's a longer creature out there.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ribbon Worm - living
Seismosaurus - extinct

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

some kind of underground fungus?

4:05 AM  
Blogger Our Hero, said...

Alright, Paul got the points. The longest living animal is a ribbon worm. An individual measured at 180 feet washed up on the shore of Scotland. I came across the reference to a fungus, too, but it was the worm I was looking for. I think that the fungus may be the largest living thing on Earth. However, I'm not sure of that because I didn't read the article.

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading your and your sister's posts I did a web search on underground fungus. What I found was kind of disturbing. I guess I'd make a lousy biologist because I think there's something kind of creepy about a 7,200 years old 2,200 acres fungus (Armillaria ostoyae). Personally I think someone should kill it before it takes over the world.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Our Hero, said...

I say better the fungus than George W. and his slightly-decaffinated facist regime!

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home