Monday, February 06, 2006

Dear Muslims

I would like nothing more than to be able to make peace with you. I think that the manner in which some of the western countries (especially my home country, U.S.A.) have dealt with people in your home countries. I understand that you hold Muhammed sacred and I agree that in the western world, there is nothing that is held sacred in the same way. I agree that the newspaper and the artists should apologize for the insult and offence they caused. But I ask you to stop this destructive protest. You are doing nothing but making any prejudice that exists worse. You are turning people like me against you. You say that Islam is a religion of peace and love and then you burn down an embassy building and you burn flags and protest screaming for the death of innocent people in far away lands.
I sit here listening to the BBC program "World Have Your Say". There is a Muslim here saying that Islam is not a religion of "turn the other cheek" but a religion of "and eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth". if that is true, how is burning and killing of an entire nation an equal retaliation for the publishing of some pictures by a single newspaper?
Let's make peace. Let's follow the primary teaching of just about every religion in the world-tolerance.
Sincerely,Eric dos Santos

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Everyone!

I am Muslim and believe strongly in diplomacy, peaceful relations, and allowing people to have their own views/religious thoughts and opinions. Why do I have these values? These values are deeply rooted in my religion as well as my culture. I am an American
Muslim. I live in a society that shows the potential of my religious values (our freedom allows this). Sadly, a good part of the Muslim world is so emotional and caught up in instant gratification, spite, and revenge that their moral values are taking a back seat. Islam is a religion of peace. It allows peace to be achieved through diplomacy and forgiveness. This is a textual and historical fact. Those who incline towards violence and block the road towards peace are disobeying our religious scripture. People have to see the many blessings and benefits that come from working issues out. For so long, much of the Muslim world has been denied this. Poor leadership have created a bi-polar mentallity (peaceful one day-violent the next day). That eye for eye doctrine is not 100% encouraged in our faith. Our scripture has both Jewish and Christian values. Our scripture also calls for forgiveness and for believers in God to establish and incline towards peace (especially) when it is offered.
The concept of hating a group of people (ie Americans) because one person of that group (ie one American) offended our faith is not apart of our religion. This type of behavior is cultural and barbaric. Today many Muslims are using our religion to act as a vehicle to carry and justify harmful political and culural views. My comment to the initial writer of this blogg is that no matter how ugly things look-don't let the fanatics change your heart. Stand for peace. I'll stand with you. I refuse to allow members of my faith to corrupt my heart. My faith is not about them. It's about God.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home